Saturday, August 22, 2009

Who Doesn't Love a Trip to the E.R.?

So Jared had a bit of a rough day today. He was playing soccer this morning and went up for a header at the same time as a guy on the other team. They collided heads; Jared hit the other guy's head with his face right above his left eye and split the skin open. He didn't get knocked out, which was a good sign that he didn't have a concussion but the cut was about an inch long and was bleeding a lot. Jared said he was on the verge of passing out when he put his hand up to his head, pulled it down, and saw that it was covered with blood. His friends acted quickly and put an extra soccer sock around his head and wrapped it tightly with sports tape to keep pressure on the wound. They drove him over to the E.R. to get it looked at and called me to tell me what happened. Luckily I wasn't at the game, otherwise I would have made matters worse by freaking out about how bad it was bleeding. I met them over at the E.R. and this is what I saw:
(Nice blood-stained clothes...)I have pictures of the cut before they stitched him up, but I won't post them because they're gross.

I thought that I'd be fine watching the nurses and doctors work on him, but as I was watching the nurse numb his face I started feeling dizzy so I sat down. She said my face was really pale and told me to put my head between my legs while the other nurse went to get me some juice. The cut wasn't deep enough to see the bone, but seeing the fatty tissue was icky enough for me.

He ended up getting 7 bright blue stitches:
And is now relaxing on the couch with the TV remote:
The swelling has gone done quite a bit from what it was a couple hours ago. They said he'll need to keep the stitches in for 4-5 days. And in the meantime, he has another soccer game on Tuesday - oh joy!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh, I love gross pictures. Hook me up! Hope there's still something cool to look at when we come next week. :) Feel better, Jared.

GordonandChrissy said...

I so DON'T love gross pictures, so I'm glad you didn't include the bloody ones. But, I'm glad he's doing better. Yikes! I would be like you - glad I wasn't there to freak out when it happened, and almost passing out when they stitched him up. ha. Glad you survived too! :)

P.S. My dad almost passed out when I had stitches in first grade. They had to take him out in a wheel chair. So - it isn't just us wimpy girls.

Mandy Coffey said...

holy crap that'd be a scary phone call to get. Glad he's going to be fine!

T and B said...

Ouch!!! Glad he is okay.