Today I went to the dentist expecting the worst. Remember that cavity I thought I would need a root canal on last...oh, November? Well, I am the queen of procrastination and never got that little cavity taken care of. It never bothered me when I ate, wasn't sensitive to hot/cold, so I kind just forgot about it altogether.
Last night I was minding my own business, eating tortilla chips, when I felt something sharp with my tongue. I thought it was just a sharp chip so I swallowed, got all the food out of my mouth, and felt around for the sharp object again. It was still there! I hurried upstairs to look in the mirror and was horrified to see that part of my tooth had fallen off! Yes, that same tooth that had the "little" cavity last year. (OK, so it wasn't that little - the dentist actually said I should take care of it soon....but I didn't.) So Jared called and made an appointment for me at his uncle's dental practice to see what kind of damage was done.
I was so nervous to go in because just like last year I was almost certain I would need a root canal. But even though a good portion of my tooth was gone it still wasn't sensitive to anything so I took that as a good sign. They took an x-ray and it didn't look very promising. I told the assistant that I was really hoping I didn't need a root canal and she said, "Ummmm.... (small snicker) I'll let the dentist come take a look and he can make the call." Oh great. Root canal city here I come. Jared's cousin John was the dentist and he came in, looked at the x-ray and said it looked like a definite possibility that I'd need a root canal but he wouldn't know for sure until he started drilling out the cavity. As they were preparing to tear my tooth up, they asked me if I wanted the laughing gas and I said, "sure" so they put the mask thing on me and discovered that the tank was empty. The hygienist said she'd be right back with a different one but never came back. Bummer! I really wanted that gas. Oh well, next time. I just sat back and watched "The Prestige" on the TV mounted in the ceiling trying to ignore the drill vibrations rattling my brain. He drilled out the cavity and filled the tooth. Turns out it actually hadn't gotten to the nerve - another week or so and it would've been toast. It's probably a good thing my tooth disintegrated when it did. After they finished, I went back to work with half my face numb and had a really hard time saying my "p's" and "m's". I probably looked like I had had a stroke whenever I tried to talk or drink out of my water bottle.
In other news, Loo is getting spayed today at the Humane Society. Jared took her in this morning and he said the second they walked into the waiting room, she had her tail between her legs and kept jumping on him as if to say, "Don't leave me here!" She got all of her shots there, so I don't think she's very fond of that place. We get to pick her up later this afternoon and pump her full of pain meds. Poor little Louie. Get well soon.
New Year 2019
7 years ago
1 comment:
I can't believe it just broke off! Yikes. But, like you say - good timing. I'm glad it was just a filling. Phew!
Post a Comment